Sunday, January 2, 2011

Party Drinks, Appetizers and a good time

I don't know about you but I hate when I go over someones house and they put out a stale bowl of chips and open a $2 package of dip and call that an appetizer. Sure I don't expect 5star cuisine but a little thought would be nice. Maybe my expectations are to high. I don't entertain often but when I do I like to whip up a diverse group of things. Usually kids are involved and one of my kids favorites is Spinach balls served hot with ketchup as dip. Another big hit is a sweet cheese ball and crackers. But being American I need at least one traditional party food and that is your garden variety meat tray but how do I kick it up a notch. I make a spicy mayonnaise and bake the bread myself.

Now onto the drinks. Ah so much to choose from Beer, Wine, Mixers, Soda, Coffee, Lemonade the choices are endless. Beer is always a fan favorite but with so many varied tastes I buy what I like and everyone else can bring what they like or suck up drinking my preference. Afterall a host has her limits and drinking Budweiser is not one of them lol. One of my favorite mixed drinks is a simple rum and cola. But being adventurous I never turn down the chance to try something new. This New Years it was a Hot Apple Cider, cinnamon and Crown concoction I found online very simple and very tasty. I also Made up a Banana Rum, Cola, Cherry Syrup and a hint of lime juice drink. Super delicious and definitely something I will be making again. Not to forget the kids I keep Cranberry Juice and Ginger Ale around. Alone two very tasty drinks but put together and you have the perfect non Alcoholic drink. So next time your planning a party. Try and think outside the box. Your guests and you will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment