Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fried Chicken

My local grocery store was having a sale on Chicken this week so of course I stocked up. I bought one package of Chicken drumsticks with the intention of grilling them up but it was to cold and icy outside so that didn't quite work out. It's been ages it seems since I've made fried chicken so I thought why not. Now Fried Chicken isn't the healthiest thing for me to eat I know. Which is why I like to only partially fry it and then bake the remaining time in the oven. I still get a crispy crust and it's certainly less fat then frying the whole way. Anyway here is my take on fried chicken. I hope you enjoy.

Fried Chicken
==================
2 cups flour divided
Package of Chicken whichever you prefer
1 egg
1/4 water
3 tbs Honey mustard
4 tbs Cajun seasoning divided
2 tbs Paprika divide
Salt and Pepper to taste
Roughly a 1/2 cup of Vegetable oil add as needed

Pre-Heat oven to 350F degrees
Start by rubbing chicken pieces down with Honey Mustard. Wash Hands then Cover and return to fridge while setting up your dipping station. Divide all dry ingredients between two bowls. In a 3rd bowl mix egg and water and whisk til incorporated well.

Warm up your pan with a thin layer of oil. You want it on a medium to medium high heat but no higher or it's likely to burn your chicken. Remove pieces from fridge. Start by dipping in one bowl of flour. Then move to dipping in egg and finally in your other bowl of flour. When oil is warm cook on both sides about 5 mins or until light brown. Once you've done all your pieces transfer to a lightly greased pan or sided baking sheet and bake in oven 45 minutes. Turning once midway through. That's it your done.

*Cooking times will vary if you use boneless pieces. For this recipe I used drumsticks hence the longer cook time. If using boneless thighs or breasts your oven cook time will be about 30 minutes instead depending on thickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment