Sunday, January 23, 2011

Homemade Hot Dog Buns

Tonight I was going to make hot dogs with homemade chips but realized I needed rolls. While I bake the majority of my bread hot dog rolls and hamburger buns are usually something I still pick up at the store. I went looking online for a simple recipe and realized the majority of bread recipes had been adapted with just a few extra ingredients to make the buns or rolls. After settling on one for cooking times and shaping I set out to make my own buns. I admit a few came out on the skinny side and one even burned a little but the majority came out just like I'd envisioned a normal bakery looking hot dog bun. I also made up two buns to see how they'd work and they came out just fine. I will definitely be making these up again in the future. No more store bought rolls for me. I have been converted.

Homemade Hot Dog Buns
======================
1 1/2 cups warm milk *You can use water if you prefer*
1 tsp yeast
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
4 cups flour
1 egg
1/3 cup oil

In a large bowl, combine milk, yeast, salt, sugar, egg, and oil. Let sit 5 minutes while the yeast does it's thing. Add 1 cup flour and start to incorporate adding more flour until it begins to pull from the sides of the bowl. Dust countertop or work surface with flour and begin to knead. You should Knead the dough about 8-10 minutes until the surface becomes smooth and elastic. Add more flour if necessary.

Oil a bowl and place Kneaded dough inside. Turn to coat, then cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in size. Once risen uncover bowl and turn out onto a floured surface and knead a few times more. Take about a handful of dough and roll out into desired shape. You can make buns by rolling into a ball and then pressing down lightly. Hoagies by making a thick cigar type roll or Hot dog buns by rolling out a thinner cigar type roll. The Choice is up to you. Now also is the time you can top your buns with seasonings or sesame seeds if you desire.

Once made place on baking sheets and cover lightly with wrap and let rise for 30 minutes more. Once done bake in pre-heated 350F degree oven for 20-25 minutes. That's it and your done. These can be cooled and frozen or used right away if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment