Monday, February 14, 2011

Pashka

This is my Father's Recipe. I finally got my mother to send me a copy of the recipe after failing many of times to find a copy online that was close to what I remember as being the Pashka my father makes. This is traditionally made at Easter in my parents household and I thought this year I'd try it for myself. So here in it's unedited glory is my Father's Pashka recipe.

4 pks (8 ounces) cream cheese

1/2cup(1 stick) butter

2 cups sifted confectioners sugar ---NOT regular

3 egg yolks

2 teaspoons vanilla

3/4 cup chopped fruit----we use a small jar maraschinio cherries chopped and drained and a small amount of dried pineapple chopped up (snack pk. amt.)

grated lemon rind---we use 2 tablespoons lemon juice..or you can use some dried lemon powder

1 small bag (or more if you like) slivered almonds

Allow cheese and butter to stand at room temp. for 2 hours . Place cheese in lg. bowl and beat.Add softened butter and continue beating til thoroughly combined. Add the sugar gradually.When mixed in well, add egg yolks one at a time,beating them in well. Fold in vanilla,fruits,lemon rind and nuts.
Line colander with cheesecloth wrung out in COLD water, leaving generous fringe. Spoon mix into colander cover over tightly with cheesecloth...place in pan to catch moisture and place weight on the top of the cheesecloth covered mixture.....the weight will press the moisture from the cheese mixture.
Refrigerate overnight. To un-mold-pull cheesecloth very gently all around to loosen.Invert quickly.Pull off cheesecloth.

That's it and your done. I hope you enjoy this dessert as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment