Friday, March 18, 2011

Egg Replacements

I found myself out of eggs and in need of a substitution for one. So of course I went to my trusty source the internet looking for something that would work. I knew of a few my mother always used and could have easily substituted with one of those but found myself finding more and more until I had a nice little list of viable options for substituting an egg in a recipe. It should be noted that you shouldn't replace more then 2 eggs in a recipe. I'm not sure why but it seem the general consensus from everything I've read about egg replacement.

1 tsp baking powder + 1 1/2 TBS water + 1 1/2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp baking powder + 1 Tbsp water + 1 Tbsp vinegar or apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp water or milk + 2 Tbsp flour + 1/2 Tbsp shortening + 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp vinegar + 1 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp lemon juice + 1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp water for each missing egg
2 Tbsp arrowroot flour
2 Tbsp potato starch
1 Tbsp tapioca starch + 1/4 cup warm water (mix well & allow to solidify a bit before using)
1 tsp yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water
1/2 of a medium mashed banana + 1/4 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp applesauce
3 Tbsp mayonnaise

I hope this helps the next time you find yourself missing an egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment